· Evaluate your winter spending: Spend an hour going through your bank statements to identify where your unnecessary spending is happening. If it’s at Starbucks on your daily latté, make your coffee at home and put that money into savings. Although these savings seem small, they add up in no time.
· Lighten your wallet: Wallet feeling heavy after the winter months? Discard old receipts, empty gift cards and most importantly, limit the number of credit cards in your wallet. Opt for the card that lets you earn rewards for every swipe.
o Added Bonus: The new Discover “it” card lets you earn 5% cash back in categories that change each quarter as well as unlimited 1% cash back, not points, on all other purchases.
· Cash-in on fashion: Spring fashion doesn’t have to come at a high price tag. Donate old clothes and shop through an online shopping portal that allows you to earn money on your new spring clothing purchases.
o Added Bonus: Discover’s online Shopping portal, ShopDiscover, offers cardmembers 5-20% cash back at over 200 online retailers.
· Redeem accumulated rewards: Take inventory of the credit card rewards you accumulated during the winter and cash in on them for spring fun. Whether you’re taking the cash back you earned and depositing it into a bank account, applying as a statement credit or redeeming for partner gift cards – don’t let your rewards go to waste.
o Added Bonus: The new Discover “it” card Cashback Concierge feature has experts who will go through your online account to help get the most cash back for how you use your card.
· Plan budget-friendly activities: Organize spring activities in advance to eliminate spur-of-the-moment plans that may hurt your wallet. Outdoor dining, craft projects, picnics are some suggestions that make for activities on the cheap.
o Added Bonus: Until March 31, Discover cardmembers can enjoy 5% Cashback Bonus on purchases up to $1500 at restaurants and movie theaters.