Let The Recovery Begin!!

We came to the hospital yesterday at 7:30 am to start the process of getting my little Robert prepped for surgery. Well, it wasnt easy at all. Yesterday was also the first day of school for my daughter, so my husband had to stay at the hospital while I went to the school for a meet and greet and to leave her at her first day back at school. I didnt realize how much this whole surgery idea had affected my daughter. I think it wasnt until we dropped Robert and my husband off that Estrella really understood what was going to happen to her little brother. So on her way to school she cried because she was scared for him. I comforted her and assured her that her baby brother would be just fine, that this was needed so that he wouldnt be sick all of the time. Once we got to school and she saw all of her friends she was ok. I got back to the hospital around 9am and they hadnt taken Robert back for surgery yet, so I was able to be with him until then, which wasnt long. The nurses came in and added a patient ID to his Scooby Doo and he helped prep Scooby to go back to surgery. Just a few minutes after 9am the Doctor and his team came to the pre-op room to give Robert some medicine to relax him and take him back for surgery. My anxiety really kicked in while I watched them take my baby boy away. But I was able to keep it together for some odd reason, as if I knew it would be ok. We were out in the waiting room and as the time passed my husband and I decided that maybe my husband should run to the house and pack some lunch for us. Just about an hour after he left the surgeon walked in and asked if my husband was around so he could speak to the both of us. The first thing I asked was if everything was ok. When the surgeon smiled all of the anxiety I had been feeling immediately went away. He began by first telling me that everything went very smoothly, what a relief. Then he explained that what they had thought all of this time to be a diagnosis of CCAM turned out to be an extra lobe on his lung, so instead of 2 lobes he had 2 and a very small extra lobe. This meant that instead of cutting into his lung and possibly having to remove his lower lobe that they didnt even have to cut into the lung at all, they just had to cut off the extra piece that was on the side of his lung. Not long after the Surgeon was explaining things to me, my husband came in so he was able to explain everything to him as well. But because they did have to remove the piece from his lung, they did have to place a tube in his chest for drainage and he would have to go to the PICU for observation and care of the tube until the tube can be removed. About an hour after the surgeon left a nurse came in to take me back to see him in the recovery and assist with the transport to the PICU. I got in the recovery room and he looked so pitiful. He was on his stomach and he was holding his Scooby Doo doll, Scooby was allowed to go with him into the surgery. When he heard my voice he opened his eyes and looked up at me and said that he was ready to go home. Poor baby. I told him that we could not go home just yet and that he would have to  stay and let the nurses and the doctors fix him up so he could go home. He was ok with that answer. While we were transporting up to the PICU his oxygen level dropped and we had to hook up a tube that I would hold to his face to bring his O2 back up. Well, once the O2 level went back up he decided that Scooby needed some O2 and he then held the tube for Scooby. Once we got in the room in the PICU they explained that the tube he had on his chest was to hopefully keep him from getting pneumonia and fever. They also put him on a pain pump. Let the recovery process start! Not as easy as it would seem though. Yesterday was a whole lot harder than today has been. I cant stand to see my babies in pain and to see alarms going off because his O2 keeps dropping into the 70’s. Once we were able to get him to sleep, things went a little smoother. Through the night we had nurses in and out repositioning him, checking his IV’s and checking his vitals. But I am happy to say nothing serious happened last night. This morning he woke up talking, and the first thing he said was that he was hungry. He ate a pretty good sized breakfast and drank quite a bit of juice. Good start to what I know will be a good day!! The only things we have had to really worry about is he does not like the tube and we have been trying hard to get him to stop pulling on it as well as his IV’s. He is very antsy, which isnt a bad thing. I am glad that we are in recovery, but very tired. I cant wait to get this tube taken out so that he can move to the regular Pediatric floor and get through this and get home.


  1. Heather
    August 24, 2010 / 4:20 pm

    Aww! Poor baby! I'm glad the surgery went well and I hope he recovers quickly. Followed you over here from the Tuesday Train.

  2. luckydame
    August 24, 2010 / 4:39 pm

    So happy to hear his surgery and recovery are going so well. He's quite the trooper and such a big boy!!! Glad Scooby was there with him in surgery to keep him company.

  3. Anonymous
    August 24, 2010 / 4:49 pm

    Oh my !! What a sweetie 🙂 Glad to hear all is going well !!!I'm already a follower, but will be stopping by often !

  4. Liz
    August 24, 2010 / 4:58 pm

    Glad everything went well! Hope the recovery goes quickly!I left an award for you on my blog.

  5. FeliciaE
    August 24, 2010 / 5:19 pm

    So glad that his surgery went well and it wasn't as bad as was thought. That is so sweet about the scooby. Hope he recovers quickly.

  6. Carly
    August 24, 2010 / 6:18 pm

    Awwww, poor baby. I hope he has a fast recovery. There is nothing worse than seeing your baby not feel good. Thanks for following from the TTA. I am now following you as well. Carlywww.WordyOwl.blogspot.com

  7. Froggy
    August 24, 2010 / 6:41 pm

    Hi I'm here from Mailbox Monday. Your little boy is so precious, and how cute they prepped Scooby for surgery and let him go in. Hope he continues to have a successful recovery and is home SOON!I'm following via GFC and am e-mail subscribed.Melissa AKA FroggyA little of this A little of that…http://darwinsfrg.blogspot.com

  8. Jules
    August 24, 2010 / 7:50 pm

    Sweet boy! He looks very brave. Keep us posted on the recovery. I'll be thinking of you guys!

  9. Liz
    August 24, 2010 / 8:49 pm

    New follower from fmbt!http://chalkboardstostrollers.blogspot.com/So sweet about big sister being worried but I bet it broke your heart! So cute about the id and prepping Scooby, so great that he had such good nurses! Hope he continues to do well with his recovery!

  10. TheCraftBarn
    August 24, 2010 / 9:23 pm

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope your little boy has a speedy recovery!Jennifer

  11. curlie girlie
    August 24, 2010 / 10:53 pm

    Thanks for following me, I'm following you too! Best wishes for your little one, hope he recovers quickly!

  12. Kate
    August 24, 2010 / 11:09 pm

    Sweet little angel! Sounds like the medical staff is fantastic. BTW, I saw your icon on Tag Along Tuesday so I thought I'd come say hello.Come on by Delicious as Pie when you have a chance!Hang in there and many healing prayers to your son!Kate (www.deliciousaspie.blogspot.com)

  13. wacki04
    August 24, 2010 / 11:26 pm

    Bless his heart! What a big boy 🙂 Hope he's doing better! New follower from the Blog Hops! Hope you can stop by and return the follow :)http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

  14. Jill
    August 25, 2010 / 1:25 am

    what an amazing little trooper he is! So glad to hear the surgery went well and he is doing o.k. I will be keeping him in my prayers. Many blessings to you.Jill

  15. Anonymous
    August 25, 2010 / 2:51 am

    I am following you right back! I am so glad your little cutie is doing well!terelauritsen.blogspot.com

  16. Chana
    August 25, 2010 / 2:56 am

    This is breaking my heart! I'm praying for your litte guy and hope his recovery goes well. What a strong mamma you are:) I honestly think I'd be a wreck!

  17. Leigh
    August 25, 2010 / 12:12 pm

    our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for your little boys recovery. Following you back from FMBT!

  18. Michelle
    August 25, 2010 / 1:22 pm

    I am praying for a quick recovery.

  19. Karen
    August 26, 2010 / 3:16 am

    Thanks for visiting. Now following you back.Karen @ TheSonShinesThroughMe.blogspot.com

  20. Seams Inspired
    August 26, 2010 / 2:18 pm

    You have a beautiful family. Praying for you all. Buzzing By…Happy Thursday! :o) Seams Inspired and What I'm Reading Today

  21. Katina
    August 26, 2010 / 4:25 pm

    Praying for you and your family. Thanks for visiting PEaceful Divas! Following you

  22. Aimee
    August 26, 2010 / 9:26 pm

    awe i have to comment on this one cause i have pics just like this of my little one when he was 2 – 3 years old. we spent almost a year in the hospital with an unknown illness (that he still has) and had many iv's, treatments, stays, and a surgery. poor little one!!! i feel for mama a lot cause i've been there and it's so hard to watch your baby go through all this!!!thanks for visiting my blog and i'm now a follower!!Aimee

  23. Discovering the Me in Mommy
    August 27, 2010 / 1:32 am

    Nice to meet you! How's your little man doing?Am following back too…

  24. Kara
    August 27, 2010 / 2:01 am

    I'm returning the follow! Poor guy! I hope he's doing better! I know they recover a lot faster than we do.

  25. Lana
    August 27, 2010 / 8:16 pm

    Following you back! God love your little boy, and your daughter too. Everyone in your family has been through the emotional wringer. May your life settle down soon and everyone be healthy and ready for fall.

  26. alissa4illustration
    August 28, 2010 / 2:03 am

    Poor little guy! I totally feel feel your pain. I had one son go through a staph infection in his neck at 7 months. We think he got it through an ear infection that was on the same side as his staph infection. His neck kept getting bigger, and they couldn't tell me why. I was afraid he'd stop breathing! We had to give him home IV antibiotics, he got the rhoda virus from the hospital, then got allergic to the meds he was on at home. Then our youngest got meningitis at 2 months. They never could tell if it was bacterial or viral. I hated that he had to get a spinal tap done! They put a pick line IV in his ankle because he wasn't walking yet.Both cases had a high white blood cell count, and fevers.Scary stuff, but both of my kid's are fine now. No long term effects. They are now 2 and 5.I hope all goes ok with your son! I'll be thinking of him and your family!!! I know it's so hard having a sick one on the whole family. I'm following you back!

  27. Amber
    August 28, 2010 / 2:30 am

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Your poor baby boy, what a strong mommy he has! Glad that he's on the road to recovery 🙂 I love all the giveaways and am now following you back. Have a great weekend!

  28. Heather
    August 28, 2010 / 2:41 am

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Tell your guy that I hope he feels better real soon. Hopefully recovery is quick! I too know what its like to worry over your kids. My oldest has cor triatriatum. Thankfully we've not had to have surgery but doctors sometimes have a way of explaining things in the scariest way possible.My thoughts are with you all!

  29. Laura Lane
    November 14, 2012 / 6:18 pm

    I'm sorry he had to go through that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *