Summer is here and so is summer travel. There are going to be many families out there traveling as well, so always remember to be safe that way everyone can enjoy their trips as well! Here are some travel tips for you and your family when traveling this summer.
1. When traveling have a planned route, and make sure that someone else knows where you will be traveling so if something happens they know where to look. So before you leave, give your parents or a friend a call and let them know what your itinerary is. This is so if you were to break down or something were to happen, someone else would know when to expect you and if they dont hear from you they can go and look for you.
2. Always have a spare tire when traveling by car. There are so many things out there that can puncture your tires when you are driving. Even the heat of the road can cause a tire to pop. Always have a spare and know how to change a tire if the need comes up. Also remember it does not do any good to have a spare if you dont have a jack and a star wrench.
3. Always keeps water and non perishable foods in your car. There are so many reasons for this. For one, if you are traveling on a remote road or highway and you break down, you and your family would need to stay hydrated until help arrives. Or if you needed to walk to get help, you want to stay hydrated as well!!
4. Always keep a couple hundred dollars on hand for emergencies. Think you can ignore a chip in your windshield? Think again! The windshield provides up to 30% of your vehicles structural integrity, and a chip smaller than 6 inches (or the size of a dollar bill) can easily be repaired by filling it with a special resin.
A chip could turn into a crack at any time, often when you are least expecting it. Windshield repair is often a safe and economical alternative to a full windshield replacement.You never know what can happen when you are traveling. If your car breaks down, you will need to pay a mechanic. If you get tired and have to find a hotel then you will need money for that as well. Say if someone gets hurt or sick while on vacation, you will need to pay for a doctors visit and or medications.
5. Carry flash lights and a first aid kit. When you are traveling at night and the car breaks down, you will probably need a flashlight. When traveling, you tend to make stops, and with kids they tend to want to play as soon as they get out. Kids fall and if you are messing with a hot engine, you can also get burned. Having a first aid kit is always a smart move!!
6. When you have little ones bring games and coloring books to keep them occupied so you can concentrate when driving. Kids get bored easily, and when that happens they try to get your attention. We all know that it is safest if your attention is on the road, so keeping your kids occupied while you are driving makes for a much better and safer trip for everyone.
7. When traveling, most times you will need to eat. Make sure you stop and eat and not try to drive while eating. Eating while driving is not safe. Your attention is on your food and both hands are not on the steering wheel. Also if you make a mess you tend to try to clean it up, this is not safe!!
8. If driving long distances, either take turns driving, or make pit stops and stretch your legs every few hours. Dont drive if you are tired, PULL OVER!!! Those lines in the road can make you sleepy and after several hours it is best to change drivers or take a break!!
9. Make sure to check your gauges frequently while you are driving. During the hot summer months, your engine gets hotter and you do not want a costly breakdown on your hands when traveling. So keep an eye on your gauges. Check your fluid levels when you stop for fuel or have a mechanic check them. If they are low fill them up, if you are loosing fluids, then once you get to where you are going, have a mechanic check to make sure there are not any leaks.
10. Pay attention to not only your driving, but everyone elses as well, and because the weather is so nice, be more attentive to motorcyclists on the roads. There are going to be tons of others traveling on the roads as well, be aware of your driving and other motorists. You may be paying attention, but others may not be. Also one thing that travelers sometimes forget about is that they need to be aware of motorcyclists out on the roads too. They are often missed and not seen as easy as other motorists. So keep an extra watchful eye out for them and travel safely this summer!!!
I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Safelite blogging program, for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here. http://safelite.socialmoms.com/about
Last Updated on