Communication is the foundation of any type of relationship. Whether you want to build a good relationship with a partner, a colleague, or a family member, you have to start with good communication. It is the way we socialize, interact, and give instruction. If you want to have a better relationship with your family, it is best to have good communication skills that will improve your bond with them.
What does communication entail?
Communication is a two-way street. When a family member talks to you, you have to do your part and listen. Hearing and listening are different. Listening means understanding what someone is saying. Feeling that you are being heard is a good foundation for trust among family members. How can you communicate well with your family members?
- Ask them about their day – After a long day at work or in school, take time to hear how your family’s day went. This usually happens at the dinner table when everyone can be together and just hear stories about each other.
- Hear them out – Good communication is hearing what the other person has to say, even if you don’t necessarily agree with it. Listen to their side and their opinions and you will be a better communicator.
- Body language – Communication is not just about words, it’s also about the actions. We’ve all heard the saying “actions speak louder than words” and body language is an important part of communication.
Communicating with technology
There are times when family members are far away from each other and this is when technology comes in handy. In a technologically-driven world, it is easy to keep in touch with a family member who is thousands of miles away. A simple text message or video chat will help open the doors of communication. All you need is an internet connection or a mobile satellite internet and your loved one can be reached anytime.
Effective family communication
Communication can be easy, but communicating effectively is entirely different. If you want to improve the quality of your relationship with your family members, here are some tips that you can keep in mind.
- Be a good listener – An important part of communication is listening. Be an active listener and pay attention to both verbal and non-verbal messages that they are trying to say. Acknowledge what they are saying and ask clarification when you need it.
- Communicate constantly – Find time to communicate constantly with your family members. Busy schedules don’t have to be a hindrance to your communication. Set aside time to spend with each other to avoid having a gap in your communication. Whether it is a meaningful or casual conversation, you are sure to strengthen the family bond.
- Be positive – It is easier to communicate with someone if the mood is positive. Avoid negativity, even when you are discussing problems with family members. Always look on the bright side and look for ways to solve problems instead of dwelling on them.
Now that you know what effective communication is about, you can take time and see if you and your family communicate enough. With the tips mentioned above, you will be on your way to a strong family bond!
Last Updated on