Keeping Pets Safe and Healthy with Petcurean this Halloween

This post is sponsored and written by me on behalf of Petcurean through a campaign managed by their PR. All opinions are my own.

Monday is Halloween, and like many out there, we find that this weekend is filled with those Halloween parties. With both the parties and the night of trick or treating, my kids will be stocking up on a haul of candy. This is the same scenario for many kids, and like many kids, mine enjoy sharing with not only one another but also our dog Chloe. The thing is, when it comes to candy and treats, those that the kids get on Halloween and at those Halloween parties are not suitable for Chloe and can be potentially harmful to her. So when I was sent some great info to read over on how to keep Chloe safe from the candy and treats this Halloween from the experts at Petcurean, I was very pleased to get the information and also share with my readers!

See like many family pets, Chloe enjoys being with the kids. She has been there for them from the time they were born and sees them as her kids whom she watches out for and protects. With that, the kids have always shared just about everything with Chloe, from the foods at the table that they might not like or that they know Chloe likes, to their toys and beds. So after reading over the information on sugars that Petcurean had sent me to read and share, I found that the information was not only important for me to see but also important for my kids. My kids love Chloe and I know that they would not want to ever hurt her, and them learning and understanding the dangers that the candy and treats they get over Halloween can pose for pets is something that they too appreciate knowing.

So this Halloween, enjoy your time, be safe and also be sure to read over the information provided below by the experts from Petcurean:

Treating pets on Halloween – tips from an expert

Halloween is upon us – a festive and fun time for families everywhere, including pets. Pet costumes have stepped up their game, so your fur kids can be included in the revelry.  But what about the treating aspect of Halloween – can your pets join in on this fun as well? Petcurean’s PhD pet nutritionist Dr. Jennifer Adolphe offers these tips to treating pets around Halloween:

Steer clear of candy: Candy is a concentrated source of sugar and calories so it is not recommended for dogs. Since candy does not provide any nutritional value for dogs, and some candies contain highly toxic substances, it is best for dogs to steer clear of all candy. If you really want to provide your pet with a special treat on Halloween, try healthy fruits and veggies, such as pieces of apple or carrots, instead of sugary and potentially harmful candy.

Some ingredients are worse than others:

·         Chocolate is well known to be toxic to dogs, so it goes without saying to avoid chocolate treats. The toxic component in chocolate is called theobromine. The caffeine in chocolate is also not good for dogs.

·         Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used as a sweetener in many sugar-free candies and gum. It is highly toxic to dogs and ingestion can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure and even death. Just a few pieces of xylitol-containing candy can have detrimental effects in dogs, so it is best to keep all sugar-free products far out of reach of your dog, or avoid purchasing products with xylitol altogether.

·         Raisins are another treat commonly given out at Halloween that can be toxic for dogs. Raisins (and grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and just a few can make a dog seriously ill, and symptoms of raisin toxicity usually appear within a couple of hours after ingestion.

Signs to watch for:  Changes in behavior could be an indication that your dog has gotten into something not good for him. Vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, lethargy, increased thirst, tremors and seizures are signs that your pet may have eaten something he shouldn’t have. If in doubt, call your veterinarian, local animal emergency clinic or animal poison control hotline right away. Try to determine how much of the offending food your dog has consumed as this could be useful information for the vet. Depending on how much and what type of toxic food your dog ate, the vet may recommend simply monitoring him and calling back if the symptoms worsen, or they may determine that he needs medical care right away.

If you want to treat your pets on Halloween, stick to foods that are dog friendly and familiar. Halloween should be fun for the whole family, just be sure to watch what your pets eat like you would your kids to keep everyone safe and happy.


  1. Vickie V
    October 29, 2016 / 2:08 am

    Thanks you for this timely well written and important information for our fur baby families!Chocolate is so dangerous for our pets.Thanks you for the reminder as the holidays begin.We need to watch smaller kiddos that they don't share chocolate s with pets too.Vickie floridagld at yahoo

  2. May Rodriguez
    October 29, 2016 / 6:16 am

    Thanks for tips but I never take my dog out for Halloween with me or give him candy.

  3. Janet W.
    October 30, 2016 / 11:04 am

    This is such important information! I've known about chocolate being toxic to dogs but didn't know about raisins.

  4. Julie Wood
    October 30, 2016 / 11:49 am

    I always make sure to keep this stuff away from my dog! It is so dangerous to let them even have one bite of chocolate or raisins. I keep these items up away so dog does not get into it.

  5. Maryann D.
    October 30, 2016 / 11:25 pm

    This is definitely important information for all pet owners. I always hope everyone is careful with the foods or snacks they feed their pets all year.twinkle at optonline dot net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *