This post is sponsored and written by me on behalf of Petcurean through a campaign managed by their PR. All opinions are my own.
The summer is officially here, and with that we find that along with the time we enjoy spending outdoors that there is also the heat to take into consideration. Like many, when my family and I head outside either to the park or even to play in the backyard, I like to ensure that we stay hydrated and have ways to cool down. And just like with the kids, I like to ensure the same for our fur babies as well. So when I was given some great tips on how to help keep Fido happy and healthy this summer from the experts at Petcurean, I was not only excited to have the information for my own reference, but also share this information with other pet parents as well.
See just like my kids, our puppy Nakoma loves to run and play. She looks forward to going on long walks, running with and playing with the kids as we explore the outdoors, even when she and the kids are playing in the backyard. And just like with the kids, we like to make sure that Nakoma is hydrated and has what she might need to help stay cool on those hot days. Well with the information provided to me by the experts from Petcurean, we can not only have the information needed for when playing at home on those hot days, but also for when we go in the car, head out on road trips and summer vacations. Allowing us to ensure that just like with the kids, that our fur babies have an enjoyable summer as well. These tips include the following:
- Keeping Hydrated: While dogs should have access to fresh water at all times, this is even more critical in the summer months when dehydration can happen rapidly due to the hotter temperatures. Be sure to pack water and a collapsible water bowl when out on the trails, and have fresh water available whether at the beach or playing in the yard.
- On the Road Again: When road tripping, be sure to plan your dog’s diet before you leave home. If you are travelling for only a few days, bring enough food and treats (Petcurean’s SPIKE treats are a great on-the-go treat) for the duration of your trip to prevent digestion issues. If you’re planning to be traveling for days, weeks or months, you may need to purchase dog food while you are away – many pet food brands offer store locators on their website so that you can plan where to get your dog’s next meal.
- Hot Weather Safety: Dogs can burn in the sun just like people can. White, light-colored, and thinly coated dogs are particularly prone to sunburn, so be sure to regularly apply a waterproof sunscreen formulated for babies or pets. Find a shady spot to place a cool mat for your dog whether in your yard, at the beach, or during trail breaks. Also, outside surfaces can heat up quickly in the summer sun and can burn your dog’s footpads. Walk your dog in the morning or evening, or in shaded areas or test surfaces before venturing outside by pressing your hand to the surface for 30 seconds. If it is painful for you, it will also be painful for your dog.
- If your pet can’t join the trip, check out these tips for selecting a pet sitter:
- Pet Friendly vacations: http://www.petcurean.com/blog/summer-vacations-can-include-the-family-pet/
So as you enjoy the summer with your fur babies, be sure to keep these tips in mind to help make the summer enjoyable for everyone and also be sure to add Petcurean to the mix as well so that you can keep your fur babies happy and healthy!
Last Updated on