Graduation is one of the biggest milestones in life. From graduating from elementary school to college and then on to advanced degree commencement ceremonies, it’s a whirlwind of excitement for the entire family. As the parent of a graduate, you want to give them a gift they’ll love—one that pays homage to all of their hard work and efforts. But what do you get? The gift, of course, depends on your child and their age and interests. Here are a few unique gifts and awards you can give your new graduate (across different budget limits):
1. High-quality diploma frame. This is especially true for college and graduate school graduates. The frames from their university bookstore are often very expensive, sometimes up to $500 for doctoral frames. Few students can afford such a luxury as a new grad, but many will want to display their diplomas. It’s the perfect gift to show off their success and can be the focal point in their office or place of work. Many times, colleges and universities offer discounts on frames during graduation season, and always offer gift receipts. The best part about this gift is that few people think about buying it for a grad, but it’s guaranteed to be a gift that’s both loved and used.
2. A dream vacation. This gift can be applied to graduates of any age. What fifth-grade grad wouldn’t want to go to an amusement park, or what high school or college grad doesn’t dream of a trip abroad with their friends? Again, a dream vacation is unlikely to fit into the budget of any grad. However, a lot of them have a little time off between graduation and whatever they have planned next. Getting away and relaxing is exactly what they’ve earned after all of those years of hard work. Plus, travel is an amazing teacher. Who says all of the learning has to take place in a classroom?
3. A new car. Nothing says success like that new car smell. High school and college graduates are getting ready to take a major next step in life, and you can help them do it in style by choosing a car with a recognizable brand, like the new Kia Stinger. It’s eco-friendly, safe, and very sporty. Whether your grad is getting ready for their first job or they’ll be road tripping across the country for college, they need a vehicle that will keep them safe and mobile. After all, it’s the car they’ll be taking to visit you! Plus, with Kia, it’s an affordable option and the perfect pick for a new grad.
4. A new phone. Whether you’re an Apple family, interested in checking out the new Samsung, or a fan of another brand, everyone wants a new phone. Elementary and middle school grads might be ready for their first personal phone, or maybe your high school or college grad needs an upgrade for the next chapter in their life. You can even earn bonus points if you offer to pay for their bill for a set amount of time. It’s one of the most desired and highly used gifts. Make sure to choose a phone with a great camera so you can keep up with their new adventures no matter where life takes them.
5. A new laptop or notebook. Whether your grad is getting ready for the next level of schooling or their first job, their laptop has probably seen better days. Nobody can do their best work on a slow, outdated computer. Give them a leg up by upgrading their model and kitting it out with the top of the line software and anti-virus features. Make sure to add a gorgeous case or carrier to the gift to make commutes and travel easier. For younger children, this might be the first laptop or notebook that’s totally theirs. Let them customize it with stickers so they can start the upcoming school year in style.
Buying the “right” graduation gift can be a challenge. It’s tempting to go with the classic “The Places You’ll Go” book or a gift card, and while those are appreciated it’s not necessarily unique. Your child may end up with more than one of the same gift! Instead, consider both what they want and need. It’s often technology or high-end items they’ve been eyeing but can’t afford. This is your opportunity to show just how proud you are of their efforts.
Last Updated on